MCANJ 2017-2018 Clerk of the Year
The MCANJ’s 2018 Clerk Of The Year is a person who had redefined the definition of commitment. Commitment to family, employer, career and of course to the Municipal Clerks’ Association.
- Our awardee has served with distinction as a Municipal Clerk for some 30 years.
- Has held numerous Municipal Clerk leadership positions at the County, State and International levels.
- Previously awarded the prestigious L. Manuel Hirshblond Award for recognition of going above and beyond to serve the MCANJ.
- As MCANJ President wrote a published editorial entitled “For a Responsible Application of OPRA” which appeared on the front page of the Opinion Section of one of the State’s major newspapers – the Bergen Record.
- Has been a member and chair of several MCANJ Committees over the years including chairing the vital Education Committee, which oversaw the New Jersey IIMC Institute Rutgers University.
- Has been also updating the written history of the MCANJ and takes many photographs to document that history at conferences, meetings, and other events.
- Spends countless hours per week as the daily Facebook page administrator, which was created by him and his spouse along with the late Wantage Municipal Clerk/Administrator Jim Doherty half a decade ago.
- Has compiled a two volume Compendium of Ceremonial Resolutions and Proclamations, which has proven to be a useful tool to Municipal Clerks in New Jersey and beyond, and which is now posted on the MCANJ website as a resource for all MCANJ Members.
- Has attained the highest IIMC education certificate of Master Municipal Clerk and is a1983 graduate of Montclair State University.
- Co-chaired the New Jersey Fundraising Sub-Committee of the New Jersey Committee that brought the IIMC Conference to NJ in 2013.
- Organized a successful Dinner Celebration of the 85th Anniversary of the MCANJ at the Banquet of his Education Conference held in March 2012 at the Taj Mahal Hotel in Atlantic City.
- During a recent visit to Washington DC during Veterans Day weekend, arranged for Ocean Township NJ Clerk Vincent Buttiglieri, as the IIMC President, to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery.
- Based on his vast knowledge and experiences, has been asked to speak across the state at Education Sessions, Conferences, and Meetings representing government and the Municipal Clerks profession.
- In spare time has been a leader in his community, having been President of the municipality’s YMCA, President of the municipality’s Rotary Club, a member of the municipality’s Chamber of Commerce, Jaycees, Historical Society Advisory Board, Planning Board, Zoning Board, and Free Public Library Board of Trustees.
If you haven’t concluded or guessed by now, after hearing all of the recipient’s accomplishments and contributions, just who is the 2018 MCANJ Municipal Clerk of the Year, here is your final clue.
Our recipient has never missed a single Garfield Mayor and Council meeting during his 30 years of service as the Garfield City Clerk, which documents his devotion and dedication to his employer, his career and our profession.
Congratulations, Mr. Drew Pavlica, City Clerk of the great City of Garfield,
our 2018 MCANJ Municipal Clerk of the Year!